عدد المساهمات : 133
تاريخ التسجيل : 2013-03-27
|the citadel|| |
1) Discuss the medical system in London?
1) Most hospitals are falling down.
2) The system is out of date.
3) The buildings are old and in noisy streets.
4) Lack of knowledge shown by many doctors.
5) There is waste of Medical supplies.
2) Although Andrew's dream was to do researches on dust dangers, he left his job in the Coal and Mines Board. Comment.
When Andrew became the medical officer in the Coal and Mines Board he thought that he would complete his researches on coal dust dangers. He was very happy but when he went to the board he spent a month doing nothing. Then they asked him to spend six months to write a report about measuring bandages so he decided to leave this job because it is useless for him.
3) What do you know about Dr. Hope?
He was a clever young funny doctor. He became a friend of Andrew. He was a doctor in the Coal and Mines Board. He didn't do much work. When there was an explosion he examined the dead miners to find out the cause of the accident.
4) Although Manson tried to improve the Medical system, he forgot that and wanted to be a rich man. Comment.
At first, Manson was a very poor doctor but he didn't care about money all what he wanted is to improve the system. He refused to give medicine to sick people unless it was needed. He blew up the sewer in Drineffy to stop water pollution. When he moved to London and saw Dr. Hamson , he changed a lot. He cared about money,clothes and furniture. He gave rich people useless medicine . He didn't examine people carefully.
5)Andrew's success was due to a grateful poor woman.
When Andrew moved to London and bought a practice he didn't have many patients. He was very poor. One day a shop keeper called Miss Cramb came to him. He gave her a list of food which she should stop eating and didn't give her medicine. Ten days later she returned to him and said she was cured. This grateful woman helped Manson very much. She told her clients about him. She brought him important patients.
6) In his way to success Andrew Manson forgot his standards. Discuss.
When Andrew was in Drineffy he believed that the system was wrong .and tried to improve it. People respected him for that. When he moved to London he changed a lot .he accepted to examine rich people, who were not ill, and give them unnecessary medicine. He gave attention to clothes and furniture. He did many things which he believed were completely wrong.
7) Christine was a good wife. Prove.
When Christine married Andrew they were very poor but she never complained. She supported him to have his degree. She thought him languages ad studied with him. She even grew plants in the surgery were he worked.
Although she preferred country life she moved with him to London . She introduced him to good people . When Andrew changed and tried to be rich by using wrong ways, Christine didn't give up hope. She tried to remind him with his standards. She invited Dr, Denny and Dr, Hope to influence on Andrew and try to guide him to his old Drineffy standards.
Dr Denny was a good friend. Comment.
When Andrew and Denny met at Drineffy they helped each other. They tried to improve the system there. When Andrew moved to Aberlaw Denny helped him to get his job. After Andrew had moved to London and forgot his believes, Denny tried to lead him to his standards.
9) Explain how Andrew changed after he became rich.
He accepted money from other doctors without doing anything. He bought a practice in a high class part of London for rich people. He exchanged patients with Dr. Hamson, Dr. Ivory and others.
10) What do you know about Richard Stillman?
He had no medical qualifications. After school , he began to study medicine but his father died. He was very poor so he left university to earn money. He studied medicine in his free time. After he had saved enough money , he returned to medical profession. He built a hospital for the treatment of lung diseases. He won the respect of the American Medical profession. He built a hospital in England and became Andrew's friend.
11) What happened and changed Andrew again?
One of the people he knew was very sick and needed an operation. Andrew asked Dr. Ivory to do the surgery. During the operation Andrew discovered that Ivory was a very bad doctor. He killed the patient and pretended that it wasn't his fault. This changed Andrew a lot .
12) How does Andrew change again at the end of the story?
He stopped working with Hamson and Ivory. He stopped dealing with rich people. He bought the practice in the high class place. He decided to work with Denny and Hope.
13) At the end of the story Andrew mentioned the problem and the solution, Discuss.
14) Do you agree with the general Medical Council decision at the end of the story? Why (not)?