The novel's a representation of Charles Dickens himself. David was born in Blunderstone. He was born six months after his father passed away,
Clara Copperfield –
David's kind mother, described as being innocently childish, who dies while David is at Salem House.
– The faithful servant of the Copperfield family and a lifelong companion to David
– David's kindhearted great-aunt; she becomes his guardian after he runs away from Grinby and Murdstone's warehouse
– Young David's cruel stepfather who beats him then sends him to Salem House, the private school owned by his friend Mr. Creakle. After David's mother dies, Mr Murdstone sends him to work in his factory in London, where he has to clean wine bottles. He appears at Betsey Trotwood's house after David runs away.
Jane Murdstone –
Mr. Murdstone's cruel sister, who moves into the Copperfield house after Mr. Murdstone marries Clara Copperfield.
– Peggotty's brother; a humble but generous fisherman who takes his nephew Ham and niece Emily into his custody after each of them has been orphaned. After Emily's departure, he travels around the world in search of her. He eventually finds her in London, and after that they emigrate to Australia.
Emily (Little Em'ly) –
A niece of Mr. Peggotty. She is a childhood friend of David Copperfield.. She leaves her cousin and fiancé, Ham, for Steerforth.
Ham Peggotty –
A good-natured nephew of Mr. Peggotty and the fiancé of Emily before she leaves him for Steerforth. He later drowns while attempting to rescue Steerforth from a shipwreck.
Mrs. Gummidge –
The widow of Daniel Peggotty's partner in a boat who is taken in and supported by Daniel after his partner's death.
Mr. Creakle –
The harsh headmaster of young David's school. Mr. Creakle is a friend of Mr. Murdstone.
– A close friend of David who has known him since his first days at Salem House. Although most people liked he, he escapes with little Emily . He eventually drowns at Yarmouth with Ham Peggotty, who had been trying to rescue him.
Tommy Traddles –
David's friend from Salem House. They meet again later and become lifelong friends. Traddles works hard but faces great obstacles because of his lack of money and connections. He eventually succeeds in making a name and a career for himself.
– A gentle man who befriends David as a young boy. He suffers from much financial difficulty and even has to spend time in prison. Copperfield meets him again in London. Micawber eventually emigrates to Australia, where he enjoys a successful career as a sheep farmer.
• Mr. Wickfield –
The father of Agnes Wickfield and lawyer to Betsey Trotwood.
• Agnes Wickfield –
Mr. Wickfield's lovely daughter and close friend of David since childhood. She later becomes David's second wife and mother of their children.
• Uriah Heep –
A wicked young man who serves first as secretary, and then as partner to Mr. Wickfield. He is finally discovered to have stolen money, and cheated Mr. Wickfield. Uriah Heep is forced to return the money He is later imprisoned. He always talks of being (humble) David Copperfield and many others hate him.
• Mrs. Steerforth –
The wealthy widowed mother of James Steerforth. She herself is very like her son.
• Miss Dartle –
A strange woman who lives with Mrs. Steerforth. She has a secret love for Steerforth and blames others such as Emily and even Steerforth's own mother for corrupting him.. She is also Steerforth's cousin.
Mr. Spenlow –
A lawyer, employer of David .he is the father of Dora Spenlow. He dies suddenly of a heart attack while driving his home.
– The daughter of Mr. Spenlow who becomes David's first wife. She dies after a long illness .